Sunday, September 05, 2004

Thoughts on Anwar...

... Ibrahim, that is.

This comment on Anwar Ibrahim's release from prison is somewhat belated; perhaps on purpose more so than the fact that I boarded a plane for a 12 hour ride within 24 hours of his release, but I figured it was best to let the euphoria die down and do some thinking before I open my big fat gob.

Back in 1998, when Anwar was arrested, it was the 'in-thing' to do to fight for 'reformasi'; to proudly denounce Dr. M and to mark UMNO as an evil. Nevermind that when the polls came round the next year, many of these people whom I knew did not want as much 'change' as they took to the streets for and voted for Barisan Nasional instead.

As Anwar was found guilty, many of these people whom I knew disappeared into the cracks, quietly ashamed of their youthful folly. Some whom even fought side by side with him absconded his party, returning to their Barisan / UMNO roots. It looked like Keadilan had nothing left to fight for.

I am not ashamed to admit, whether it is / was cool or not, that I took an academic stance during everything, perhaps a chip from the old block that my father was in those days, and decided to view things from the sidelines instead of getting involved in the brawl. I had my views, and when asked, I would state them, but for the most part I read foreign press, local press and listened to others without wearing a badge of any colour.

I mean, I never saw Anwar commit sodomy, so how was I to know whether he was guilty or not? But I knew from reading the trial transcripts that there were discrepancies which raised doubts to me - but I was not the presiding judge so that didn't matter. As for 'misuse of power' and 'corruption'; well, let's just say that not too many politicians would not go to jail if they too, were put to trial for this offence.

I'm glad his sodomy judgment was overturned, though, because I think this caused him and his family more hurt than the corruption charges ever did. Am I glad that he is free? My political ideals, race and religious matters aside, (and they are really rather idealistic) are those along the lines of transparency and balance.

I want to see an opposition being allowed to criticise the government to keep them in check, without shooting their mouths off and calling everyone who disagrees with them infidels. I want to see an opposition that is allowed to get the same access to media rights; if the government gets more airtime with the RTMs that's fine, but if any of the private stations wish to support an opposition party, they can do so without fear of hilang kontrak.

I want to see a newspaper with journalistic integrity being allowed to criticise the government in a smart, intellectual way without living in fear of having their license revoked or having their distribution 'limited'. And I would love to see a government not living in constant fear of being ousted or of losing their power that they would go into extremes to make sure they stayed ; because with a sound, solid opposition - the country would not go into chaos, and should the ruling government lose power, their roles as the then-opposition carries enough weight to keep the current government in check. And finally, I'd love to see the opposition be given due credit, instead of incessantly being branded ungrateful and insolent. They are part of the democratic process; and shouldn't be hindered.

If Anwar's return will allow for this, even partially, then he has my support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home